Common Core Standards Initiative
- What is Common Core?
- Who wrote the standards?
- What are the standards?
- Were parents and educators consulted?
- Who funded it?
- Why should you be worried about Common Core?
- How did the federal government get the states on board?
- Who opposes Common Core and why?
These questions and many more will be answered here. I have gathered and provided many links and videos to help you understand what Common Core is, so that you, the parent, can make an informed opinion on the subject. To get a brief overview of what we’re talking about, I suggest you begin with this
Fact Sheet on Common Core’s Developers, Writers, Validation Committee, and Standards, put together by Sandra Stotsky.
Sandra Stotsky is credited with developing one of the country’s strongest sets of academic standards for K-12 students as well as the strongest academic standards and licensure tests for prospective teachers while serving as Senior Associate Commissioner in the Massachusetts Department of Education from 1999-2003. She is also known nation-wide for her in-depth analyses of the problems in Common Core’s English language arts standards. Her current research ranges from the deficiencies in teacher preparation programs and teacher licensure tests to the deficiencies in the K-12 reading curriculum and the question of gender bias in the curriculum.
She was also on the Common Core Validation Committee. She was made to sign a confidentiality agreement, stating that she was NOT to discuss anything that took place in the meetings. Why do you think that is? I’d sure like to know.
Next, check out this video from Pioneer Institute, where Executive Director Jim Stergios talks about the basis for education reform in Massachusetts, and how that state-driven success model differs from Common Core national education standards. He corrects some of the myths about Common Core, drawing on Pioneer Institute’s extensive research to show that the national standards were not state-led, violate three federal laws, and will far exceed cost estimates for implementation.
Setting the Record Straight on Common Core – Part 1
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
More Common Core Information:
- National Cost of Aligning States to Common Core
- Common Core: The ‘State-led’ Myth
- Claims and Facts about Common Core
- Common Core’s Political Agenda
- The Road to a National Curriculum
- Big Business Launches Pro-Common Core Propaganda Blitz
- Common Core: Dangers And Threats To American Liberty And Education
- Common Core is U.N. Agenda 21
- FIGHT COMMON CORE FOR EDUCATIONAL FREEDOM
- A “Common Core” for a Global Community
- Common Core Teaches How to Organize a Labor Protest
- “College and Career Ready” Common Core National Standards Push Erotic Novels on Kids
- Common Core’s Global Warming Agenda
- Heartland Institute Exposes Link Between Federal Data Mining and the Common Core
- Joy Pullmann on Common Core
- Deciding Who Sees Students’ Data
- Walking the Labyrinth of the Corporate-Owned-Common Core
- Lowering the Bar
- Bill Gates and Common Core
- Benchmarking for Success
- Parents Against Common Core
- Educators Opposing Common Core
- Common Core Curriculum Now Has Critics on the Left
- Teacher Reveals The Shocking Abuse She’s Endured For Opposing ‘Common Core’
- The Dangers of Common Core
- Common Core National Education Outrages Teacher Coalition
- Joint Statement of Early Childhood Health and Education Professionals on the Common Core Standards Initiative
- Prize-winning Mathematician Says Common Core Math Doesn’t Add Up
- Rotten to the Core
- Equalizing Mediocrity
- States Opposing Common Core
- Indiana Replaces Common Core … With Common Core
- Oklahoma Senate Ed Committee Gives Common Core an F
- Oklahoma Votes To Repeal Common Core
- Some states rebrand controversial Common Core education standards
- South Carolina Drops Out of Common Core Standardized Testing
- What Common Core Proposes to Teach N.Y. Students on ‘Unintended Consequences of American Capitalism,’ ‘Fairness’ and the Progressive Era
- More States Abandoning the Sinking Common Core Ship
- The Caleb Bonham Show: Common Core Math
- Common Core 4th grade reading: Obama biography portrays whites as racist
- Common Core Problem Asks Kids to Choose Two Amendments to Remove From Bill of Rights